My 20 Or So Favourite Rooms

Traditional Home

With magazines currently trotting out their favourite rooms of the year, I thought I’d record 20 of my most favourite rooms of all time. Some of these have been in my files since before I started my blog, in 2008, so some image sources have long faded.

This laundry room above was the inspiration for my old laundry:

PicMonkey Collage

Source Unknown

This beauty has convinced me to do built in cabinetry in the bathroom next time.

House and Garden

I lost this image for a while there and was delighted to find it again. This is the layout I want off the next kitchen, heading out to the pool … with an L shaped verandah wrapping around the backyard space. I have a bit more room to work with than this image so there will be grass leading out to the pool.

212584044880315927_t5247sXS_f

And this will be found at the end of the pool. A pool house (without walls … which is not a ‘pool house’? …. so I have been emphatically told time and time again) …. a ‘pool shack’ then?

House Beautiful

An elegant kitchen nook. Simple. Uncluttered. This is perfect.

Christopher Peacock

Cabinetry to the ceiling, a window near the sink, a beautiful island bench, a freestanding stove …

Christopher Peacock

… and a nook for cooking essentials!

House Beautiful

A dark island bench. A Sub Zero. Glass fronted cabinetry to the ceiling. And marble.

House Beautiful

Architectural Digest

Pretty windows, lots of light and a fair bit of symmetry.

Pinterest

This very image inspired me to do a stone-ish fireplace in the last place … and use a natural fibre rug and windows with lots of lights.

Pinterest

A ‘transom-ed’ front door with side lights … off a front entry porch. Perfection.

Pinterest

This image inspired me to pretty up the Romans in the last study.

Office

Pinterest

Built in bathroom cabinetry theme again.

Kelly Green Interiors

This image was the inspiration for the open shelves in my last pantry.

_MG_5297a

Remodelling Center

This very picture inspired me to do window seats with deep drawers, next to a stone fireplace, in the Great Room last time ….

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
_MG_5194a

Gary Spain Design

Next time.

Architectural Digest

Shaker cabinetry to the coved ceiling and marble bench top perfection.

Pinterest

Staircase detail.

Pinterest

Kitchen sink window perfection …

Pinterest

… and again.

Do you have images, that have been on file for years, that you keep coming back to? Despite my embracing of certain trends, as they come and go, I always seem to go back to the traditional aesthetic in these images here. For me, it’s so timeless and just doesn’t date.

Day 10 of my flu. You know how you wake up thinking that a good night sleep is going to make you feel fractionally better the next day? It doesn’t happen with this bug. Seriously not fun.

Happy Monday!

• KL
    August 25, 2014 at 9:24 am

Gorgeous images A-M! All so very inspiring. I have my ‘go to’ homes and pics…though my aesthetic is quite different from yours. Hope you’re on the mend soon, 10 days is a long time to be unwell.

• Daisy
    August 25, 2014 at 10:24 am

Your taste is immaculate A-M! I am envious of the fact that you identify strongly with one particular (and timeless) style. My heart swings anywhere between ‘traditional’ hamptons style and scandinavian minimalist!
    Daisy xo

• Catherine Lynn
    August 25, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Am loving this post A-M! I remember your gorgeous home and peeking into the kitchen, laundry and great room with admiration, so it was lovely to see where your inspiration came from! Such style you have and money cant buy that! Am so excited about your new house! Hang in there with your recovering. Each day is a day closer to health! Love Cathyx

• littlekarstar
    August 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Love this post! Thank you! Inspo for our reno! Cannot wait to finish. Get well soon, it’s been a horribly cold and wet winter – probably because we started renovations then! – post more! And come and give me some opinions and views on decisions I’m making! –littlekarstar aka Mrs Bok

• Marg
    August 26, 2014 at 3:34 pm

That House and Garden home was the inspiration for my place-the whole feature just took my breathe away and introduced me to the ‘Hamptons’ look-I kept that magazine and still refer to that house.

• Andrea
    August 27, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I miss The House! You know you have been drawing inspiration from similar images for a long time. You’ve got some timeless style. Cannot wait to see how things shape up with your next build.

Rest up my dear and I hope you can shake this flu. Menthol on the feet before bed and a good steam with eucalyptus always clears me out. Sending you hugs!

xx,

Comments are closed here.

This is where I muse about home design, real estate, interiors and life with my boys. I am starting my next house build, 'The Next House That A-M Built', and hope to have some action on site in January 2018. While I am building I will continue to run my Real Estate agency, 'Cape Cod Residential', through which I stage, style and sell beautiful homes all over Brisbane, Australia. I have an unrivalled staging inventory which enables me to present all manner of homes in their absolute best light for sale. It brings me such joy to be able to do Real Estate so differently and achieve great results for my clients. I am so grateful to be living such a creative and exciting life ... that I have created through blood, sweat, tears and physio appointments!

Our designer in-house furniture and accessories inventory is available free of charge to all our real estate clients.

The first 'House That A-M Built' -Home Beautiful Cover, May 2010