Pottery Barn

photo-13

Williams-Sonoma

Well, I’m off to the Pottery Barn/Pottery Barn Kids/Williams-Sonoma/West Elm launch this morning.

I arrived in Sydney last night and had a wander past the 4 stores as they were finishing them all off. They were all still behind construction screens but I smiled sweetly at a workman, snuck behind one and made a beeline to the lady standing at the front of the Williams-Sonoma store. She was standing, hands on hips, looking back into the store. I could tell she was admiring her beautiful merchandising, as she gave out one of those ‘wow, I’m done, looks great’ sighs!

I introduced myself and told her I was down from Brisbane for the launch. She was delighted to meet me. So friendly, Americans. Know how to welcome, that’s for sure. Even interlopers. She introduced me to the rest of her team and I boldly launched into our desperate need for all things Pottery Barn in Brisbane. The ever so friendly gentleman rattled off a few Brisbane suburbs (like the back of his hand) during our discussion. He knew what he was talking about. They’re looking girls! Just between you and me, they’re casing the joint! What do you think? James St? CBD? Paddington somewhere? Goodness, anywhere and they’d be inundated!

So I got a photo. I was told to tell no-one. Even though I did say I needed it for my Instagram readers. No names ok?

It’s beautiful! I felt like I was back in New York, you know when I stood at the entrance of homewares stores and just cried?

If we could have one hundredth the homeware retail experience that those lucky US citizens experience we’d be doing better than we are now here in Australia.

So I’m off for brunch with some very friendly Americans!

Will tell you all about it tomorrow.

PS As I was walking out the door yesterday, my youngest told me to take a photo of Rachael’s¬†apothecary table! They’re ‘Friends’ fans. They don’t miss a trick. Wasn’t that a great Pottery Barn marketing win? Even my 10 year old Aussie boy knows about Pottery Barn!

You can now leave a comment with your Facebook account...

12 Responses to Pottery Barn

1. Denita says:

Good work telling them we need PB in Brisbane AM! It would be so amazing if they actually opened here. I’m so planning a trip to Sydney just to check them out. Can’t wait to hear what you think and how the prices have translated in Australia. Also, what do you think of the quality? Some of the reviews on their website have made me wonder… Still love them though :)

2. Suzy says:

Oh my you have no idea how much I want to be you right now!! Pottery Barn needs to come to Melbourme! But in the mean time, I think I need to make a trip to Sydney…

3. Lou says:

AM, so excited for you, enioy the brunch and pouring over the shop cabinetry and most importantly their beautiful stock. I can see you casually chatting to them out the front yesterday afternoon. They would’ve thought that you were a ‘friendly’ Aussie too.

As for your 10 year old…he’s sharp.

Lou x

4. Renata says:

well its about time ! They need one in Noosa !

5. Rae Hilhorst says:

Fabulous, will be in Sydney in a couple of weeks, hope I can find it.

6. Judy M. says:

So happy that Austrailia is getting these fine stores. Just wondering (I live in New Jersey) if you have Home Goods stores in Austrailia. Home Goods is the very best store for reasonably priced home items. It’s the very best!

7. libbywilko says:

Definitely think Paddington , Brisbane would be a good match…. And it’s close to me :-) can’t wait to hear more details about the launch.

8. Heidi says:

I think you will be seeing more US stores coming to Oz, since their economy is doing much better than the rest of the world. Happy weekend!!!!! Love, Heidi

9. Annie says:

I had a look at Pottery Barn, West Elm etc and I must say I was underwhelmed by Pottery Barn. I thought it was very middle America. Boring reproductions of antique furniture in very unappealing timbers. Williams Sonoma was a lovely looking store with fancy kitchenware but I really hope it doesn’t put stores such as The Bay Tree in nearby Woollahra out of business. I really liked West Elm they had some great original furniture for reasonable prices and the bed linen looked different from what is available. I do hope that these stores lift the whole Bondi Junction Mall. It is a quite unattractive area at the moment and I only run through it to get to the bank or to the train station. These stores are great whilst the dollar is high and the economy is going well but don’t forget small retail run by Australians when you next need something.

10. Chris says:

Hi there, I love your blog. Just needed to let you know, given the extreme hype around Pottery Barn, how appalling this company’s service is. After numerous calls and continuously being told it would be 3-5 days for delivery, finally after three weeks I was told my order had been lost and that they would refund the money. They subsequently failed to make the refund and I had to take legal action to demand payment of a substantial order amount. There are many unsuspecting mums out there who are being persuaded by their clever marketing but unfortunately they are all form and no substance. Will stick to Australian based suppliers like yourself in future. Kind regards.

• A-M says:

Hi Chris, you are not the only one! I am still waiting for an insert for my footstool that I purchased a month ago. It was advertised as complete with insert and the insert never arrived with the cover. I tried phoning first but the number on the website was not even connected and then after 2 emails the following week I tried the number again and got transferred to the USA call centre. Dreading my phone bill. Still now, no insert. Nothing. I have kept quiet since my own poor customer service experience. Thanks for your kind words. I know I give better service!!! A-M xx