Hinterdorfstrasse

Happy New Year everyone! I am still overseas on holiday in Switzerland. Currently we are in Zermatt, skiing. We spent a very special New Years in Montreux, on Lake Geneva, from where we travelled on a little train to Leysin Village for a few days to sample the skiing there. It was magical. It was hard to leave Paris. I always leave a little bit of my heart there. Now it's time to work off all those French pastries!
I thought I'd start the New Year here with some very special little buildings, that I found on my wanderings today in Zermatt. This old street, Hinterdorfstrasse, is one of the oldest streets in Zermatt …. a quiet, cobbled street, dating back to the 16th century. It is listed and protected. It took my breath away when I stumbled upon it! It pays to wander away from all the posh shops!
Some of the buildings are still in use and one that I found, on an accommodation website, has been renovated inside and rents for $5000 Swiss francs a week over this period that we are here (peak period)!
This is an old pig stall dating from the 16th century. No longer in use.
This old place was in disrepair which made it even more beautiful!

This was a warehouse dating back to the 17th century, used for storing sausage, bread and dried meat.

This one dates from the 16th century and was used to store cows and sheep in the winter. No longer in use. Empty and spooky!

I climbed up into one. See the troughs for the animals? Poor things. A bit boring. Not much to do in here in the winter in the 16th century. My youngest will worry that they were self aware when I show him this picture. He worries about things like that with animals and their suffering.
Someone had a beer in there! I could think of nicer lodgings!

Saved the best for last! Heartstopping stuff!

Happy New Year my friends!

Switzerland!

PS sorry about the spacing. I had to rush this post. Blogsy crashed about 11 times whilst I did this post. I see they are still having the same problems since my love-hate affair with them in August, in New York, hence my travels are being recorded over at Instagram at: www.instagram.com/thehouseofam

Will try to get back here again when I have the patience to deal with temperamental Blogsy! Grrrr!

Blue Door

Instructions For Life

• tinajo
    January 6, 2013 at 2:46 am

Oh, it does looks lovely – enjoy! :-)

• Renata
    January 6, 2013 at 6:54 am

Happy New Year! amazing how they have lasted so long, we saw buildings this old in the UK, hope you are having a blast in the snow!

• Deb
    January 6, 2013 at 7:47 am

Dreamy pics I am loving the armchair ride via IG and an loving the antics of little K. Hope big boy feels better soon and please keep the pics coming, deb

• Faux Fuchsia
    January 6, 2013 at 8:01 am

Looks like a postcard! happy new year. x

• Sarah B
    January 6, 2013 at 3:48 pm

It looks wonderful. I have really been enjoying seeing your holiday photos x

• Deanne
    January 7, 2013 at 6:58 am

It is such a beautiful place! I have a friend who comes from Switzerland and she grew up in a house that looks just like Heidi’s!

• Michelle Hayward
    January 7, 2013 at 8:40 am

Looks like you are having the best time! ENJOY A-M! x

• parisgirl
    January 7, 2013 at 9:45 am

Following you on Instagram. Fabulous, fabulous fabulous! Reliving my own memories whist you make memories with your ‘crew’. So going to have to look at going back now. Take care.

• Lori R.
    January 8, 2013 at 4:45 am

I’m only able to see the first half of the pictures but the ones that show are wonderful!

• Heidi Jaster
    January 8, 2013 at 1:32 pm

What an amazing Christmas/New Year Holiday you and your family are having. You all will always remember this one. Love, Heidi

• B is building a house
    January 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm

So glad to see you are having an amazing time with your gorgeous family.

Stay safe and enjoy the rest of your trip.

B

This is where I muse about home design, interiors, life with my boys and other stuff that stops my heart. I own my own Real Estate agency, 'Cape Cod Residential', through which I stage, style and sell beautiful homes all over Brisbane, Australia. I have an unrivalled staging inventory which enables me to present all manner of homes in their absolute best light for sale. The complete Real Estate Package! I have an online store, 'Cape Cod Designs', that features some of my most favourite styling pieces ... AND I am currently scheming 'The Next House That A-M Built'. A-M xx

My Real Estate Agency

My Real Estate Agency

Complimentary to all my real estate clients

Like my real estate