Brick Floors

Ever since I fell in love with the brick floor in ‘A Butler’s Manor’, the beautiful B&B I stayed in, in the Hamptons this year, I have been seeing brick floors everywhere. You know how it is!

Via Pinterest

They add such texture … earthiness.

Via Atlanta Homes

I feel they actually soften a room. They take away all potential airs and graces.

Effortless ‘historic’ chic.

Via La Dolce Vita

White ones! Heaven!

Via Beneath My Heart

Via Pinterest

Via Belgian Pearls

Via La Dolce Vita

Via Pretty Stuff

Via Just Beachy

What do you think? Love ’em? Hate ’em?

Blue Tile Love

Black Trims

Sunday Kitchen Love

• tinajo
    November 21, 2012 at 7:12 am

I love them, makes a very special look! :-)

November 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Me too. Provincial. So European! xx

• Erin Hill
    November 21, 2012 at 8:38 am

I had no idea I loved the look until now. They really do add so much warmth and character, don’t they?

November 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

They do! I love them!!! xx

• parisgirl
    November 21, 2012 at 9:19 am

Love them! We rented a small villa in Italy for 6 weeks a few years back.The brick floors were quite old and and worn beautifully. The bricks were not cold like tiles and were infinitely more comfortable to stand on than tiles.No underfloor heating needed, unlike tiles. No sharp edges as expected either. A quick going over with the vacumn was all they required.In this particular house the rugs picked up the tones in the bricks and it just looked lovely.Same house had heavy ‘farmhouse’ shutters to keep out the heat of summer and the cold of winter. Both great ideas that would be cost a bundle to have here.

November 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Sold! … but I know, the cost! xx

• Bobbie Black
    November 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

Have never seen them or contemplated them before – but now I LOVE THEM. Would they be sealed do you think?

November 21, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I don’t know if they would be… some look like they are part of the original structure. I would consider getting out the ‘sikkens’ and a paint brush if I had them! xx

• Miss Gingham
    November 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’ve always loved flagstone floors and brick has that same aged warmth. I would really like a brick floor in a kitchen.

November 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I knew you would be a fan P! xx

• Ann
    November 21, 2012 at 10:06 am

I quite like the look of them, but feel I would be stubbing my toes on them as I like to go barefoot a lot!

Around 18 years ago, when we were building on a family room, I really wanted polished concrete flooring but was talked out of it. Instead we have large rough tan coloured tiles, laid on the diagonal, which I really hate. Wish I had my way again, because I still like polished concrete and it hasn’t gone out of fashion IMO!

November 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Some of them look quite uneven. I think stubbed toes would be a given! I love polished concrete… it is so versatile… it can create such an industrial look but also be softened and look provincial and classical! xx

• bollyknickers
    November 21, 2012 at 10:39 am

I have mixed feelings – my childhood home in the UK had them (and flagstones) and whilst i love the look and the sense of history – that bit of the house dated from the 15th century – they were cold in winter and very unforgiving if anything was dropped!They weren’t very even either so bits got missed by the vacuum. I think i might put them in a garden room here and possibly a hall – i’m swayed by the gorgeous examples here – but unless they were extremely even and well sealed i think they would be too much work for me in an area like a kitchen.

November 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yes, a kitchen might be too high maintenance but a hall!… an entrance hall!… stunning!

• Karyn
    November 21, 2012 at 11:00 am

While I love that look , I would need to consider first the impact on ones feet. About 4 weeks ago we took up the carpet in our bedroom as the tiler was suppose to be coming to take up the ensuite tiles ( alas typically he didnt show & we are still waiting) so the bed went back in on the concrete. Walking on a rough concrete floor apparently takes all the moisture out of your feet. I know have cracked heels & toes. Maybe bricks wouldnt be as bad as concrete. But I wouldnt like to have to wear shoes in the house everyday to protect my heels. Although if you could afford to have a pedicure every week it could be a great excuse !!
    Karyn x

November 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yes, I reckon some of them would be rough on one’s feet. I would probably end up having heaps of rugs with the bricks just peeping out! xx

• Andrea Lauder
    November 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I can’t help but think of what it would take to clean those floors (as gorgeous as they are)…..

November 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm

That had crossed my mind but like high heels, you can stand the pain if they are beautiful! xx

• Virginia
    November 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I love them! Vx

• Rae Hilhorst
    November 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks I am in love with them, very inspirational. Rae xx

• Lori R.
    November 28, 2012 at 4:41 am

My Aunt and Uncle had one in their foyer and family room in their last house and have luckily found another house in a different state that has them in the foyer and living room. I adore them!